Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Happy Birthday Beckah!

Dear Beckah, 

Sometimes I think that God sends us challenges designed to make us grow in ways that we don't think we can. Those challenges come in many forms, and in this case, God sent me you.  

You are so much.  So much of everything.  So much emotion.  So much energy.  So much noise.  So much motion.  

You test us all in so many ways and it has taken me a while to realize that you are testing our ability to be better.  To love bigger.  To play harder.  To give more.  

In only four years you have taught me that it's okay to let go more often.  To let you run as hard as you can for as long as you can.  To let you be loud and laugh like a maniac. To let you cry like the world is ending. To let you bring the joy, that seems to be your ever present companion, with you to everywhere.  To let you light up other peoples lives the way you light up ours.  To not temper your exuberance. 

I love that you tell people exactly what you are thinking all the time.  I hope you always keep that honesty.  I hope I can teach you tact. 

I love that you see everyone as beautiful and that you get mad at me if I forget to tell the girl in the drive through that you think she looks beautiful today.  More strangers have hugged or waved to you with tears in their eyes because you aren't afraid to tell them that they are the prettiest or handsomest person you have EVER seen.  And it's sincere.  I don't think you know how many people you touch just by seeing their beauty and telling them you see it.  

You will forever keep me on my toes.  I never know what to expect with you. 

You are like a lit fuse and in my head I'm chasing you trying to blow it out before the explosion. 

In my head explosions are messy and chaotic and to be avoided.  

Reality is that so many explosions have a purpose.  A reason.  

And some are incredibly beautiful.  

So often you surprise me by being just the right kind of explosion. 

I just hope that I can teach you timing to go with that tact.  

A few days ago you told me that you wanted to be like a firework.  Loud, strong, and beautiful.  

You are baby.  You are breath taking.  

I'm just so happy that get to be part of your show. 

Happy Fourth Birthday Beckah-bean.  We love you with all our hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment